Subject: Re: Carrera vs Deskstation
From: Merle Ilgenfritz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:58:45 -0800

At 08:06 AM 3/20/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Scott Sanders wrote:
>
>> 
>> Will the FX32 allow the Intel version of LW to be run on an alpha?  That
>> would really cut down on costs.
>> 
>> Scott
>
>Wow, then what would be the point?  The alpha version is optimized for 
>that chip's instruction set.  When you take a 3d program (arbitrary) and 
>use it on it's specific platform it works great, provided you have the 
>OS/Machine to use it.  WHen you run an emulator to make the machine 
>think it's something else, it takes hits away from the processor, and 
>probably quite a lot.  I know that the PC emu. softawre for the mac is 
>SLOWWWWW (let's not start a pc/mac/alpha war please).  THe same thing 
>would happen and maybe even worse if you used LW x86 on a MIPS machine.
>Too much processor overhead for it to be effective.  Get a p166 or dual 
>if you want to save $$$.

>Robert Nederhorst                                               
>[email-masked]
>Creative Director
>Vivid Graphics                                 
>http://geoweb.tamu.edu/~rgn7128

Rob;
I usually don't jump in on many things but I HAVE to disagree (somewhat)
with your comments.....

What I see FX32 allowing you to do is use your existing 32 bit Intel software
on your Alphas if you want. Now we all know that most software is licensed to
be installed on only one machine at a time, but in reality the majority
of people install it on as many machines as they see fit.

So FX32 will allow you to run software that you are using on your PC (or if
you only own an Alpha - on an Alpha if an Alpha version has not been ported
yet).

I also see FX32 forcing Newtek and companies that take advantage of the Alpha 
users by charging much higher pricing for the Alpha port, to lower the
Alpha version's price to be more in line with the Intel version.

Since the reports of achieving fairly good speeds using FX32 (I've
heard as high as 80% of the Alpha native version using the Intel version)
will make many people consider using Alphas.

If FX32 is SLOWWWWW as you have stated, then it won't matter much.
But until then, we will just have to wait and see.

I do agree that you will save money by getting a 166 or dual Pentium.
But when you compare performance to cost, the Alpha wins hands down.

Three things for Scott to consider before buying a system.
(I tell all my customers this)

1: What are your short term needs?
2: What are your long term goals (to take into account upgradability)
3: What's your budget?

If you don't have $4,000-15,000 to spend on an Alpha then there's no
point to think about getting one.

If you do have the budget, then you need to look at all of the other
variables.

I feel it isn't important if you, I or anyone says that the PC, Alpha,
Mips, Mac or Amiga is the best platform. That's a matter of opinion.
What is important is that you are able to USE your system to DO
the things you need to do. I've owned and used all of the above (except
for Mips) and they all have their pros and cons. 

So to Scott, identify your needs and budget (short term and long term).
Then everyone will be able to relate the systems they are using to
your needs and add their two cents.....

Me, I will go back to work and enjoy the 3DS nonsense discussions some
more......

:)

Merle

*********************************************************************
*                                                                   *
*                          Merle Ilgenfritz                         *
*                             President                             *
*                           Wild Eyed Video                         *
*      80 Grant Drive, North Kingstown, RI  02852-3614  U.S.A.      *
*          Voice #: (401) 294-4070   Fax #: (401) 294-4070          *
*                          [email-masked]                          *
*  Dealer for Amiga, Dec Alpha, PC Systems - Hardware and Software  *
*                                                                   *
*********************************************************************